FAQsFrequently Asked Questions about the Day Scholars Class Action
1. How do I know if I qualify?
You must be able to answer YES to both of the following questions:
Did you attend a Federally Run and Recognized Residential School?
Please refer to the list of Certified Residential Schools. (Yes/No)
Did you return home every night, while other children stayed at the school as a resident? (Yes/No)
If you answered YES to both of the questions, then you would be considered a Day Scholar in our Class Action.
2. My band did not opt into the Day Scholar Class Action, do I still qualify?
If you answered YES to both of the above questions, then YES. You still qualify as an individual.
3. My school is not on the list or Certified Residential Schools, do I still qualify?
No, you must have attended a Federally Run and Recognized Residential School during the day and returned home every night.
4. Who are the Descendant Class?
The Descendants are the children (son or daughter) of the Day Scholar. Whether they are naturally born, or traditionally adopted by ceremony, or legally adopted.
5. My mother/father was a Day Scholar, but has passed away. What can I do as a Descendant?
The Executor of the Estate should fill in the form,
You can fill out a form on behalf of your parent,indicate that they are deceased in brackets beside their name. Under the “Descendant” portion of the form, make sure to list all of your deceased parent’s children (your siblings only). On a separate piece of paper, state that you are the one who filled in the form. Print your name, phone number, and email address, and then sign afterwards.
6. I am a Day Scholar, and one or more of 6my children have passed away? Do I still list their information under “Descendants”?
Yes, beside their names put (deceased) and add the year that he/she passed away.
7. I sent in my information, what do I do now?
The information you have sent in is for data collection purposes only. We are using this information to quantify how many Day Scholars there are across Canada. We will be using this information in our negotiations.
We are expecting to reach a settlement within the next 1-4 years.
Once a settlement has been agreed then there will be an official application process for Day Scholars